• William L. Cupples, 46, of Newton was cited for failure to maintain control after officers were dispatched at 5:34 a.m. Sept. 9 to Iowa Speedway Drive. Upon arrival, officers saw a black Thunderbird had crashed into a light pole. No one was in the vehicle, and there were no visible skid marks. Cupples was later found at his residence. The accident caused an estimated $2,000 in damage to his car. Cupples also was arrested at 10:09 p.m. Friday after being located at 1306 S. Sixth Ave. E. in relation to an outstanding warrant for possession of a controlled substance.
• David W. Leak, 58, of Newton was arrested for an outstanding warrant in Polk County for violating his probation after he was located at 12:37 a.m. Friday at 105 N. Second Ave. E. He was taken to the Polk County line.
• Konrad C. McGinley, 25, of Newton was charged with public intoxication and reckless driving after officers were dispatched at 3:43 p.m. Sept. 7 to the 1200 and 1300 blocks of South 11th Avenue East on a report of an accident. Witnesses say they saw McGinley drive through two yards and crash his car. He then walked half a block to his home. Fifteen minutes later, officers located him at his home, where he openly admitted he was “wasted” and said he consumed five to six shots inside his home. He was taken to jail.
• Albert G. Parker IV, 16, of Newton was cited for failure to maintain control after officers were dispatched at 3:20 p.m. Wednesday to the 500 block of South 13th Avenue East on a report of an accident. Parker was eastbound and a school bus driven by Steven M. Hartz, 63, of Newton. The accident caused an estimated $3,000 in damage to Parker’s vehicle and $2,000 in damage to the school bus.
• Virjene R. Perales, 35, of Newton was cited for failure to prove security against liability after officers were dispatched at 7:55 a.m. Friday to the 1200 block of South Eighth Avenue East on a report of an accident. Perales was traveling south when she struck a parked vehicle. She did not have insurance. The accident caused an estimated $1,800 in damage to her car and $3,000 to the parked car.
• Brandon R. Hills, 25, of Newton was charged with driving while license revoked and cited for failure to have insurance after officers stopped him at 11:39 p.m. Thursday in the 1300 block of North 11th Avenue East. He was taken to jail.
• David G. Wilhelm, 31, of Grinnell was transported to the Jasper County Jail at 5:26 p.m. Wednesday on an active warrant after being located at the 179 mile marker on Interstate 80.
A criminal charge is merely an accusation, and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty. It is the policy of the Newton Daily News to release the names of individuals charged with a crime who are 16 and older.