October 24, 2024

C-M school board brings in additional voice

Kaylee Collins, a senior at Colfax-Mingo Community School, was selected as the new student representative for school board meetings.

The Colfax-Mingo Community School District Board of Directors recently added a student voice to the table. “I set a priority when I started in the district to value student voice when making decisions. The vast majority of our decisions we make impact our students and their voice is needed. Adding a student to our school board will ensure that their voice is heard at the table.”, superintendent Tim Salmon said. The board had been considering adding a student representative for about a year and decided that with this new school year, it was the perfect opportunity to onboard the representative.

After an interview process, the board selected and approved, Kaylee Collins. Kaylee is currently a senior at Colfax-Mingo High School and a very busy student with participation in sports including volleyball, dance and track as well as taking several DMACC classes and working part-time at Walmart.

When interviewed for the position, Kaylee stated her desire to be an advocate for the students who might not have a voice that she can bring to the table. While this position is a non-voting position, the board thinks that it is very valuable to have the input of a student representative when discussing any issues that affect our students. Superintendent Salmon continued, “Kaylee will use her voice to make sure we always know the impact our decisions can make. I’m so excited for her to join our board and look forward to continuing this for many years to come.”

“We are excited to welcome Kaylee to the board table! I’m looking forward to her input about happenings around school and her thoughts on what we can do to improve our district,” board member Ashley VanderSchoor said.

Considering that students are the primary beneficiaries of school board decisions and engaging students in local governing processes gives great experience to students, we are proud to add this position and look forward to hearing more updates from our new member in future meetings.