Public Services Librarian Nicole Lindstrom saw a need for the patrons of the Newton Public Library and reached out to the Jasper Community Foundation for help.
“At the information desk, we noticed that a lot of our patrons don’t have basic computer skills or basic Internet computer skills, and they don’t feel comfortable doing a lot of tasks on their own,” Lindstrom said.
Lindstrom then filled out a JCF grant application and was rewarded for her efforts as JCF donated funds to purchase six new laptops and a portable storage compartment. The library is now able to offer several basic computer operating classes.
“While we’re on the desk, we don’t have the time or the manpower to help them one-on-one,” Lindstrom said. “So, the classes emerged out of that, because of a need for the community, and I am hoping that lot of the patrons will start coming to the classes.”
The first class, Computers for Beginners, started on Oct. 8 and had a follow up sessions on Oct. 10 and concluded on Wednesday. There was also a one-time class on the Oct. 18 to help set patrons up with an email account.
“Each month, we have a different class that we offer at least three times, and then on Fridays, we have a rotating class,” Lindstrom said.
November’s feature class will be Internet for Beginners and the rotating class will be Pinterest for Beginners. The schedule is as follows:
• Internet for Beginner,s first class takes place on Wednesday, Nov. 6, from 2 to 3 p.m.
• The first rotating class, Pinterest for Beginners, will take place Friday, Nov. 8, from 9 to 10 a.m.
• The second Internet for Beginners course will take place Thursday, Nov. 14, from 2 to 3 p.m.
• The final Internet for Beginners course will be on Tuesday, Nov. 19, from 10 to 11 a.m.
• The final Pinterest for Beginners class will take place on Friday, Nov. 22, from 9 to 10 a.m.
In December, Introduction to Word will be the feature course, and I Want to Skype will be the rotating course. Those classes will take place:
• Wednesday, Dec. 4, from 2 to 3 p.m. for the first Introduction to Word class.
• Thursday, Dec. 12, from 2 to 3 p.m. for the second Introduction to Word class.
• Tuesday, Dec. 17, from 10 to 11 a.m. is the final Introduction to Word class.
I Want to Skype will take place on Friday, Dec. 20, from 9 to 10 a.m.
The library is currently working on the schedule for next year and would like to expand the amount of classes in the future. All classes require patrons to register by calling the Information Desk at (641) 792-4108.