NFD responds to two house fires

Published: Monday, Jan. 14, 2013 2:27 p.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013 10:20 a.m. CDT
(Submitted Photo)
A Sunday fire destroyed Marie Stack's residence at 314 E. 21st St. S. The fire appeared to have started around the Christmas tree.

The Newton Fire Department responded to two house fires over the weekend.

The first fire occurred at 7:27 p.m. Friday at 222 First St. S. The fire started in the attic above the second-floor bathroom. Damage was contained to the bathroom, and the fire appears to have been the result of a short circuit in the electrical wiring located in the attic.

The resident of the house, Ron Hussey, was home at the time and heard something fall upstairs. When he went to investigate he found the fire and called 911. The house is owned by Levi Pence.

The second fire occurred at 9:03 p.m. Sunday at 314 E. 21st St. S. The fire appeared to have started around the Christmas tree that was still up and had its lights on. The owner of the home, Marie Stack, was at home and noticed the fire. She went to her neighbors to call 911, and the fire quickly spread in the living room and the rest of the house. The house was completely destroyed. Stack is currently staying with friends and family.

National video

Reader Poll

What are your thoughts on illegal drug use and distribution in Jasper County?
It's completely out of hand, more needs to be done about it
It's pretty bad, but no worse than anywhere else in Iowa
It's getting better than it was 10-15 years ago
It's not really a problem here