'Freaky fast, freaky good'
Newton Jimmy John’s location slated for Monday soft opening
The opening of the Newton Jimmy John’s sub sandwich shop has been anything but “freaky fast,” but Ames-based owner Ahmed Merchant is planning a soft opening for his 25th store on Monday.
The Newton location originally was slated to open in August, but according to District Manager Scott Russell, “There were some issues with the building that our owner had not foreseen. It’s one of those things where once you get in there and actually start tearing stuff out you find those issues.”
Renovations have since been completed, and hungry Newton residents can start ordering their favorite 8-inch subs — like the Pepe, Big John or Vito — plain slims or giant club sandwiches on Monday. No specials are scheduled to be offered at the opening.
“Jimmy John’s as a company is really more about consistent pricing,” Russell said. “We haven’t had a price change in several years ... Jimmy is against the concept of coupons and specials. He wants to be special all the time, so to speak, and offer a great consistent product at a great consistent price.”
The new location has hired roughly 25-30 new employees, many from the Newton area.
More Local News
- NASCAR Chairman talks about Iowa Speedway purchase
- Newton Chamber of Commerce Christmas Party celebrates, awards businesses of Newton
- Downtown churches host 18th annual Christmas Walk
- From Cardinal to Calvary Scout: Vinnie Hoskins chose to serve his country after high school
- Blood drives planned in Kellogg, Newton