People begin petition drive against Ankeny casino
ANKENY (AP) — Several residents have begun a petition drive against construction of a casino in the Des Moines suburb of Ankeny.
Almost 40 people gathered at Kirkendall Public Library on Monday to begin their drive for 6,600 signatures.
Ankeny resident Mike Meyerring said the group members know the petition would have no binding effect on the City Council.
On Oct. 29 the council approved a contract to support efforts by Wild Rose Entertainment to acquire a state license. The $150 million casino project would be built near a new interchange on Interstate 35 in the Des Moines suburb.
More State News
- U. of Iowa says FEMA won't require more insurance
- Cedar Rapids pays state for trout stream fish kill
- Des Moines police say man shot at passing cars
- Farmers seeing more interest in locally grown food
- Iowa regents to finalize 2nd tuition freeze plan